Because most toddler’s attention span is all of a nanosecond, I find the simpler the craft the better. Age and personality type also play a factor when finding applicable crafts for your sweethearts.
My children have two very different personalities. Even by age 2, my son could stay on a task for quite a while, whereas my daughter is just like me, “blessed”, with a very small attention span. We both start a hundred things at once and don’t finish them.
This craft is simple, yet fun. It serves to reinforce the Bible story of Jesus calming the sea. It’s a nice reminder that when the world is raging around us, God is in control of it all. He can calm the storms in our life.
Here’s a peek at the final product…
What You’ll Need
- Construction Paper
- Popsicle Sticks
How to Create Your Craft
- Cut out a half moon and a triangle.
- Glue one popsicle stick in the center of the triangle.
- Glue half moon on the top side of the base of the same popsicle stick in step 2.
- On reverse side of half moon, glue popsicle stick on base of previous popsicle stick. Put boat aside.
- Cut a strip of construction paper that looks like water; glue it to the base of another piece of construction paper.
- Cut a second strip of water and place it on top of previous water, bend farthest edges inward and place a piece of tape in the inner fold. This will create a pocket. Make sure not to make the waves too big, as it can cause the boat to snag.
- Grab your boat and place it in the pocket, you can travel it back and forth in the water.
- Add “Jesus Calms the Sea” at the top of the page, and have the kids color it if you like. Voila, the craft is complete!