The Bible vs. Life
We wake up, and our feet hit the floor running. Our agenda is filled to capacity, and we can’t imagine rationally adding anything else to our plate. What can shift our focus from our daily agenda to God’s daily agenda? How can we find time, and what is the importance of reading God’s word?
Reading the Bible. Is it Worth it?
Lets see, our favorite show or the Bible? Who wins out in this battle of our time and focus? If we really break it down, should we even be asking that question? Or perhaps you have already read the Bible once so you say, “I’m good”. I can relate with this; I generally only read a book once. From their it goes on the shelf to accumulate dust. But the Bible isn’t just a book to read the cliff notes on, it’s a life manual.
What Are the Benefits?
Increases our faith
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Active and relevant to our current joys and struggles
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
A guide to direct our path, helping us to distinguish between right and wrong
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
Reminder of God’s faithfulness
For the word of the LORD is right and true; He is faithful in all He does.
Fear of the LORD is the foundation of true wisdom. All who obey His commandments will grow in wisdom. Praise Him forever!
Gives us full assurance of the hope we have and allows us to experience the joy of salvation
Finding the Time – Get Creative
- Strive for five – Ok, I stole this slogan from my exercise class at church. But seriously, even if it is just five minutes a day, you will be amazed as you start to see God work through you and in you.
If you have time to brush your teeth, then you have time to do a five minute devo.
- Get an audio Bible to listen to on the way to work
- Play mp3 as you get ready for your day
- Incorporate your family – My two year old has been listening with me. We each get an ear bud.
- Get a mini devo to do during breakfast or dinner
- Listen to audio Bible while exercising
- Look for ways to incorporate God into your everyday life
Photo credit: by Counselling